The reviewer will work under the direct supervision of the Head of the Transcription Unit of the ECCC. The objective of the assignment is to compare the audio of a transcript in English against another transcript in French and focusing exclusively on substantive issues, and any other substantive discrepancy encountered during the revision process.
2. Tasks and outputs
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Transcription Unit, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
• review transcripts of trial proceedings in the target language (French) against the digital audio recordings in the source language (English);
• review transcripts of trial proceedings in the target language (French) against a revised version of the relay English transcript, to correct substantive errors or omissions detected in the interpretation of the source language (Khmer);
• edit and translate, when necessary, the transcripts to correct substantive errors or omissions detected in the interpretation;
• edit the transcripts to ensure accuracy and consistency in terminology, spelling, grammar and punctuation, following the Unit’s guidelines and glossaries;
• participate in team activities, including attending team meetings;
• maintain security and safeguard confidentiality of records.
3.Duration and location
The initial duration of the contract will be two months, with possibility of extension,subject to operational requirement. The Language Reviewer will work remotely.
4. Reporting lines and administrative support
The Language Reviewer will report directly to the Head of the Transcription Unit.
5. Qualifications and experience
• A university degree or the equivalent is required, preferably in the fields of translation, legal transcription, law, linguistics, literature or social studies;
• A minimum of two years of experience in translation, multilingual transcription, revision or edition is necessary; experience working in an international tribunal is an asset;
• Fluency in written and oral English and French is essential; knowledge of Khmer would be considered an asset;
• Experience in working in a computer environment (word processing, Internet) and a good knowledge of Microsoft Word are essential; knowledge of ZyLAB, CourtFlow, VIQ or other similar archiving and transcription software will be considered an asset.
Consultancy fee will be based on individual outputs (rate of each unit of transcript reviewed). $4,200 ($525 per transcript) will be paid for a minimum of 8 transcripts reviewed per month subject to confirmation of quality. Any additional transcript reviewed above this minimum will be paid at $375 per transcript subject to confirmation of quality.
7. Submission of Application
Please address the fully completed and signed application form (P.11) in English, together with a cover letter and copies of relevant supporting documents, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The P.11 Form has to be downloaded from the UNARKT Website.